This Coffee Technicians Program course introduces fundamental concepts of coffee equipment preventive maintenance and water quality. This special online version of Water & Preventive Maintenance Foundation is only available to ASTs who are eligible for the Water & Preventive Maintenance Limited Authorization License.
At the end of the course, the learner will be able to:
– Identify typical wear components in an espresso machine, batch brewer, coffee grinder, and water treatment system
– Describe relevant fundamental principles of preventive maintenance programs, water chemistry, and water treatment methods
– Demonstrate an awareness of the various hazards associated with working with coffee equipment and recommended procedures for working safely
– Demonstrate measurement and analysis of key water parameters
– Demonstrate simple preventive maintenance steps for a traditional espresso machine, batch brewer, and coffee grinder.
Click the “Additional Information” tab below for a list of currently-scheduled sessions.
This class is open only to current ASTs in good standing with module license authorizations for both Brewing and Barista Skills. License status will be verified before registration is complete.
Course includes four 2-hour live online group discussion and demonstration sessions plus one 2-hour one-on-one activity and practical test session which must be scheduled separately.
During this online course, the learner must demonstrate several hands-on maintenance skills on camera. To complete these tasks, learners must have all required equipment, tools, personal protective equipment, and supplies during their class session. A complete list of requirements will be provided before registration is complete.
Learners must be able to comfortably use simple mechanic’s tools, including fixed and adjustable wrenches/spanners and screwdrivers. Learners who are not fully comfortable with these tools are encouraged to attend an in-person class instead.
Successful completion of this coffee technician training course, including actively attending all sessions and passing practical and written exams, qualifies the learner for the Specialty Coffee Association Coffee Technicians Program Water & Preventive Maintenance Foundation Certificate.
Course fee includes all SCA Certificate Fees.
Please review our Course Conduct and Cancellation Policies before completing your registration. Paid registration for a course indicates acceptance of these policies.